Wednesday, October 8, 2014

An Airman's Story Part VI

My new crew of six was formed up just in time to fly off to Harmon AFB Newfoundland for a 90 day TDY. Since the unit had more crews (30) than aircraft (20) we flew as passengers on a MATS DC-6. Why not dead-head with one of the other crews? That year several tankers and their crews had been lost due to propeller cracks that resulted in blade separation followed by engine separation and spin out. I recall a terse message from an observer in a tanker formation that was repeated in a safety magazine, “The aircraft spun out of control through the under-cast and was not heard from again”. As a result of these incidents the max gross weight was reduced to the design limit of 155,000 pounds from the SAC dictated overload 175,000 and SOBs were kept at a max of ten. This limit existed for over a year until a new solid aluminum blade replaced the hollow steel one.
The TDY went well and we enjoyed fishing for cod off the end of the runway and listening to Dee-jay Alan Moge spin the platters on the AFRS station. 
As my first hitch was about to end in 1956 I had to make a decision whether or not to re up. I checked with Eastern Airlines for an engineer's position and was informed that they had openings and I would have to train in Florida and be stationed on the east coast. The first year pay would be about the same as my E-5 over four was.
On the other hand the military was making a big push to retain current members. Reenlistment bonuses were offered for some skills, benefit packages for families were introduced. Our fist child was born in a civilian hospital on my dime. Our second child, due a few days after my enlistment would be born in the base hospital and all expenses covered. I reenlisted that summer for a six year hitch.
After several crew changes and TDY’s to Thule Greenland, Sevilla Spain, Brize Norton UK and a couple to Portuguese Azores over the next several years life became routine and promotions slowed to a crawl Air Force wide.
While TDY to the Azores a personality conflict with my aircraft commander (AC), Major Sharp, came to a head. 
The 91st was tasked to provide refueling support to nuke armed B-47s rotating from alert status in Spain back to the states. 
Portugal's stated position was that NO nukes would be allowed on its territory and if violated the U.S. could no longer have use of the important island base. As a result two ground spare tankers and an air spare were assigned to each mission. 
During one mission our receiver B-47 asked for more fuel if we had any to spare. It was common knowledge among tanker crews that receivers would take every drop of fuel you had as insurance. The AC asked me if we had any extra fuel and I replied that we were at minimum fuel in order to make it to our alternate base in North Africa. After landing the AC informed me to never ever tell him about our fuel situation and when I replied that then he should not ask for the information. He then ordered me to come with him to the commander's office as he was contemplating a court martial action. The Commander must have brushed him off because no further action was forthcoming. In any event our crew nest was fouled and we were to spend the next two years together like it or not.
I contemplated leaving the service. My decision was made easier in 1962 when the unit was scheduled to convert to the new KC-135 tanker and flight engineers became excess to needs. That summer my old squadron-mate Stan Jozwiak came up to the 91st to get re-qualified in the 97. I asked what he was up to and he related the story of the Ohio Air Guard getting the cast off Air Force tankers and setting up at nearby Clinton County AFB.
I drove down to Wilmington one afternoon and was interviewed by Lt. Col. Cattran and offered a position as an instructor engineer with the transitioning 160 ARG. Frank certainly rued his decision several times over the next several years when our personalities conflicted. I stayed in the unit for 25 years and retired from Rickenbacker (Lockbourne) in 1987. A great ride and I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment