Monday, October 6, 2014

Airman's Story IV

Part IV
Early one morning, when all were asleep in the barracks, the noise of breaking glass and banging shutters caused all to awake. A predawn tornado struck Randolph After we had collected our wits we went out to the flight line only to find our B-29s scattered about like ten pins. The aircraft were considered alvage and the tow taget squadron was disbanded. This event would cause another turn in my career.
Some of our barracks mates had made a weekend trip to nearby (150 miles) Mexico and related that the good time they had experienced. Only one of our orphan gang of five had a car and we convinced him to drive us down to the Mexican border town, Nuevo Loredo in March of 1954. It was a trip that would forever change my life.
After spending the night we realized that we had two more days remaining on our pass and decided to see the “real Mexico”. We drove the 150 miles to Monterrey a large industrial city. While dining at open air cafe that evening I spotted the woman of my dreams. She was sitty at a nearby table with with her young sisters. In a few short months Erna (Nena) Lackner was to become my wife of sixty tears and the mother of our four children.
In early September of 1954 the Air Force finally grew tired of our small group's demands to regain our flight engineer status We were assigned to a new career path that included a two month jet engine mechanic's course at Amarillo AFB in northwest Texas. From there we would be assigned to an operational unit at as yet unknown base. Leaving my new wife behind at her parents home, I drove north to the panhandle for the six week course. The plan was to have my wife and family join me at my permanent duty station.
Near the end of the J-65 course I received a sad letter from my Dad, informing me that my mother had terminal cancer and had only a few months to live. I asked Dad to contact the Red Cross and the local Congressman and ask them to arrange for a compassionate transfer to nearby Lockbourne Air Force Base. The transfer was approved and I was on my way back to Ohio after twenty-seven months in the Air Training Command. I was now educated in aircraft and engine mechanics, aircraft performance, and jet propulsion theory.
The transfer was approved and My wife, pending baby and I flew into Port Columbus on a cold November night where my Dad picked us up and drove us to family farm where we planned to stay until the baby was born and we could muster up enough cash to set up a household of our own nearer the base. I cashed in all my savings bonds and purchased a 49 Ford for the 50-mile commute to Lockbourne.



No comments:

Post a Comment