Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Presentation To City Council


1/15/15

If council or the administration has a plan to find the money to repair the rapidly deteriorating streets of this fair city I have yet to hear of it. We are, according to the street department superintendent, facing a million dollar repair bill in the next year or two and I have no idea of how we are going to pay for it.
I have spent hours of research on this project and presented the results to the city fathers and mothers and the least I could expect is someone telling me that we have a plan and what is what it is.
I realize that this is an election year but in this single party town, that shouldn't be a factor.
In case council and the administration think the public would not trust them on the street repair needs I suggest that we follow the water rate model. The needs of the water department were long running but no one wanted to step up and increase water rates. The solution then was to hire a consultant and under that cover, rates were increased. Do we need to spend a few thousand bucks for a street repair consultant and then say, "it's not us, it's the consultant saying we need to raise revenue"
I and many folks I talk to have a difficult time understanding why council is denying the voters an opportunity to chose a revenue source for street repair and maintenance. Under Ohio law council can't raise local taxes only the voters can do that. Council has missed this election cycle's dead line to offer that option and that too too bad.
I would like to see a council that is proactive and not just reactive to routine legislation placed in their meeting packets.
We talk about development and jobs for the city but what would a prospective job creator's impression be if they had to dodge pot holes as the drove in to town.
My question is not rhetorical I would like to hear about a plan if there is one!
Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
[Post script: Council's streets committee chairman McKay plans to schedule a meeting to deal with the problem]
Paul Hunter


No comments:

Post a Comment